Hello! This started as my blog for the Open University course, H808, ‘The eLearning Professional’, but now I’ve expanded its remit to include posts about my work as Assistive Technology Advisor with the Access Office at National University of Ireland, Maynooth. I’m currently completing H809: Practice-based research in educational technology, another module in the MA in Online and Distance Education.
My research interests include accessibility in online learning, the impact of assistive technology on learner independence, the application of mainstream and emerging technologies in higher education, and the implementation of good practice in the application of technology in teaching and learning.
Publications & Presentations
- [with Jennison Asuncion, EA Draffan and Terrill Thompson] International Comparison on Accessible Technology in Higher Education (2008) Access Technology Higher Education Network http://www.athenpro.org/node/120 (retrieved 25 April 2009)
- [with Claire McAvinia] ‘Digital Documentation; Making it as accessible as possible’ ‘AHEAD 20th Annual Conference. 29th October 2008.
- Supporting digital natives and digital immigrants; embracing change in how Access supports non-traditional students’. Virtual supports for Real Students; The 11th Biennial Conference, Confederation of Student Services in Ireland. 26th June 2008.
- [with Claire McAvinia] ‘Good Practice in Digital Documents’ Workshop. Virtual supports for Real Students; The 11th Biennial Conference, Confederation of Student Services in Ireland. 26th June 2008.
- [with Emer Sheerin] ‘”It did exactly what it said on the tin!”: How a one-week essay-writing course influences three years of college life for mature students’ The 2nd European Conference on the First Year Experience, Gothenburg, Sweden. 10 May 2007
- ‘At cross purposes. How a mismatch of expectation hampers school-university collaboration’ The 15th EAN Annual Conference: The Social Role of Universities: Reaching out to the Community, Thessaloniki, Greece. 1 September 2006. Paper available in Ferrier, F. and Heagney, M. (eds) Higher Education in Diverse Communities: Global Perspectives Local Initiatives 2008 HEA/EAN
- Grammar-to-Go: English Writing for Students – for Everyone [Book]. NUI Maynooth, 2000.